Beedie Business Mentorship Program (BMP) Mentor 2011 Application
Due to the high demand of BMP Mentees, BMP is now accepting applications for BMP Mentors
. We are looking for enthusiastic and dedicated individuals who are looking to gain experience and make a difference in the lives of incoming first-year Beedie students. Applications are due ASAP
We believe that mentorship is crucial to the academic success, professional development, and personal growth of every student. BMP is an eight month program geared towards introducing incoming business students to the SFU Beedie School of Business. The program aims to develop first-year students in order to maximize their success and raise their level of expectation to achieve great things during their time at SFU.
As a BMP Mentor, you will gain valuable skills such as public speaking, teaching skills, organizational skills, and leadership while widely expanding your personal network. Your role is to guide an incoming business student through theirr first year at SFU and to teach them the meaning of success and how to reach their goals.
- BMP will be a one-to-two mentorship program.
- Mentors will be paired with mentees based on their availability to make it as convenient as possible to meet (ie. A mentor and mentee will be matched because they both finish class at 2:30PM at SFU Burnaby on Tuesdays).
- We will be providing mentors will a curriculum to follow with one topic discussion for every meeting (ie. how to network, what are case competitions, dinner etiquette, etc...)
- The meeting structure will be roughly 15 minutes of mandatory topic discussion and the rest of the time can be focused on anything the mentor/mentee want to talk about.
- There will be monthly socials such as sports nights and bowling to bond in an open environment.
- Hold one-on-one mentorship sessions where you will teach your mentee valuable skills and share your personal experiences
- Engage your mentee in social events to expand their network
- Attend and participate in internal and external workshops and networking events
- Promote BMP at various first-year events
- Communicate regularly with your mentee to ensure they are well supported
Please take the following steps to apply to become a BMP Mentor 2011:
- Fill out the web application located below
- Email your resume to Brian Yan Muk, BMP Chair at bya13[at]sfu.ca by Friday, September 2nd, 2011 at 11:59PM.
- Subject: [BMP] Mentor 2011 Application - *First Name* *Last Name*
- Please save your resume as follows: First and Last Name_Resume.doc(x)/.pdf
- Phone interviews will be conducted between September 3rd and September 8th.
This position starts in August 2011 and finishes in April 2012. Mentors are required to attend at least one BMP Mentor training session in September. Mentors are also required to meet with their mentee for a minimum of an hour at least once a week until December 2011 and at least once every two weeks until April 2012. Mentors will also be asked to accompany their mentees to a variety of monthly events such as socials, workshops, competitions, and networking events as required.
Total Minimum Time Commitment: 17 Hours over 8 Months
+ non-mandatory socials.
If you have any further questions or would like to discuss the details of the position of your interest, please e-mail Brian Yan Muk at bya13[at]sfu.ca
Don't forget to LIKE us on Facebook
and FOLLOW us on Twitter